The Sr Director, R&D will lead our Breakfast & Snacking technical team. Reporting to the Chief R&D Officer, they will lead the product development, productivity, and product performance agenda and develop consumer-centric products across existing and adjacent categories. They will serve on the Breakfast & Snacking Business Team and the R&D Leadership Team. Primary responsibilities include:
- Lead the research sciences, NPD results, and applications against Quality, Cost, and Growth platforms, brand technical plans, key priorities for yogurt and baking
- Inspire, motivate, and grow a team of senior product development and research scientist
- Advance business priorities by leading executional excellence, fueling our brand growth agendas, mitigating input costs, and enhancing margins by orchestrating joined up cost leadership programs
- Set the standards for Design Excellence, taste leadership, and exceptional user experiences and validation production specifications
- Deliver differentiated new products across guardrails supporting the values of unrivaled quality, creativity and innovation, and speed to market across core brands, existing pipeline, and adjacent category innovation platforms
- Influence and support people, projects, and ideas
- Committed to rolling up sleeves to deliver great work while engaging colleagues at all levels/functions of organization
- Foster a dynamic, fast paced, and highly collaborative environment
- Develop infrastructure and process to improve capabilities, specifications and labs
Required Skills and Abilities:
The ideal candidate will be an assertive, change ready R&D leader with a bias for action underpinned with technical due diligence and significant yogurt R&D experience. The candidate will be an inspirational growth-oriented creator with a successful track record in innovation, productivity, quality improvement, food regulations, and engagement. A structured leader with exceptional communication and relationship building skills and who enjoys working in a matrix environment. Regarding performance and competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- B.S. in Food Science. Food Engineering or Related Field
- 10+ years progressive experience across Product and Packaging R&D, Quality, at food and beverage companies
- Significant yogurt product development, fermentation sciences, dairy sciences, and ingredient functionality experience is required
- Adept understanding of Food Regulations and Labeling, Scientific Affairs and Claims
- Mastery of Sensory and Consumer Sciences
- The ability to create and articulate an inspiring vision for the organization, not only for the areas they are directly responsible for, but also the enterprise.
- The inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the organization’s overall strategy.
- A creator at heart with innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the boundaries within the industry.
- The ability to create realistic goals and plans that are achievable and successful.
Functional Management / Delivering Results
- The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance
- Comfortable with ambiguity; the ability to adapt and lead through complex situations.
- A smart/calculated risk-taker who seeks data and input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended circumstances from decisions.
- A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in their approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always considering what is best for the organization.
- The ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others.
- The ability to persevere in the face of challenges and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which commands respect from followers.
- A leader who is self-reflective and aware of their own limitations; leads by example and drives the organization’s performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self-improvement.
Relationships and Influence
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, passion in their beliefs, and active drive.
- Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team.
- Creates a sense of purpose/meaning for the team that generates followership