Principal Process Engineer
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead/Co-lead in the implementation of Global capital projects and/or workstream for the organization, from the conceptualization stage to turnover to the Regions ensuring adherence to all company technical/standards, timetables, approved budgets and optimum personnel utilization.
- Provide technical assistance to other departments and divisions for Process development, system audits, and product commercialization.
- Collaborate with the Regional Process Engineers in preparation of Process Specification.
- Prepare and review technical documents necessary for the above responsibilities.
- Lead projects with functional or cross-functional teams to accomplish objectives of innovation and renovation projects.
- Develop and deliver influencing and strategic technical communication to key stakeholders, management, and team members with compelling technical recommendations and the business case for implementation.
- Responsible for simulating, developing, and optimizing processes to fully leverage varying manufacturing capabilities at domestic and international sites.
- Identify innovative concepts and technologies, perform rapid technical assessments, and incorporate into functional and commercially viable processes as applicable.
- Develop, monitor, and control budgets for projects and innovation efforts as applicable.
- Plan, execute, and evaluate experiments from bench-top through commercialization, including scale-up and qualification, of existing and new manufacturing processes across all product categories.
- Where applicable, manage Process Engineering Technician(s) to accomplish department objectives and develop the engineering team.
- Apply detailed understanding of instrumentation, process control, and all unit operations in a technology platform toward development of Functional Requirements governing process design and control.
- Apply understanding of IQ, OQ, PQ, validation, and technology transfer concepts for the execution of the engineering projects
- Apply understanding of HACCP, GMP’s, safety and environmental standards, and regional requirements to innovations in equipment and process design to facilitate the seamless transition of global projects to regions.
- Prioritize projects based on business value and strategy while setting resource needs for executing against commitments on project timing.
- In capital projects, provide leadership for process design, process parameters, and qualification.
- Apply structured problem analysis to provide timely, risk compensated, and data-based solutions to product and process issues.
A B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemical or Food Process Engineering or related fields such as Food Science and Technology, Biosystems Engineering and a minimum of 5+ years (prefer10+) of relevant work experience with a demonstrated history of success.
Proficiency in Computer software – AutoCAD, Minitab, Microsoft Office and other useful work tools in the accomplishment of tasks. Significant experience with multiple unit operations including spray drying is required. Experience in liquid processing, including conventional and aseptic processing/packaging would be considered as a plus. A strong history of leading by influence and delivering results with excellence is needed. Some travel, including international, is required.
Director of Purchasing
General Description: Responsible for directing, managing and overseeing the supply team activities and assets. Research and supply the best value for ingredients, supplies and inventory management to both internal and external customers. Ensure that plant has materials necessary to maximize product runs. Position ensures correct performance to key measures including: out-of-stocks, maintaining cost-effective inventory levels, cost-to-sales ratio of goods and other KPI. Develops breadth and depth of purchasing team skill set via coaching and training and look for opportunities to automate and gain efficiencies.
Essential Duties and Tasks: R-Rare, O-Occasional, F-Frequent, C-Constant
- Source vendors to identify best prices, quality and delivery available for purchases, and develop new and secondary supply sources as necessary. F
- Develops and publishes purchasing strategy to increase profitability and drive the improvement of the cost to sales ratio of the goods sourced and improve company working capital. F
- Manage inventory control, stocking programs, supplier sourcing and continuous improvement projects related to supply chain management. Record final production quantities for each label on the daily production log. F
- Coordinates new product releases and monitor projected vs actual volumes to adjust inventory levels accordingly. F
- Produce and process purchase orders and, where appropriate, develop blanket purchase orders to utilize best price while considering inventory-carrying costs. O
- Maintain compliance with all company policies, federal, state and local rules and regulations. C
- Improve supplier quality in partnership with other company functional areas, recover cost from suppliers, qualify suppliers accordingly to defined quality needs, and ensure support of engineering processes to ensure suppliers meet targeted specifications. F
- Use inventory control metrics to monitor and analyze all suppliers, purchasing, inventory and manufacturing operations to identify and implement cost saving opportunities. F
- Analyze product purchase history and negotiate terms and conditions or purchase contracts for all facilities to plan and forecast for future requirements to include quantity price breaks. F
- Design, implement and maintain company purchasing policies and procedures to include supplier quality rating systems. O
- Implement standard KPIs and ensure continuous improvement. O
- Manage and lead assigned team by providing excellent team management; set meaningful unit and individual goals and developmental plans, provide ongoing constructive coaching to improve and sustain performance, develop succession plans, perform performance evaluations, develop key contributors. F
- Work closely with company functional areas to analyze all inventory areas including raw materials and finished goods to identify cost savings and develop inventory targets. F
- Performs weekly informal visits with employees to show genuine interest in employees and in their work, to ensure their needs are being addressed, to build trust and relationships, to recognize employee successes and contributions, to promote a more respectful work environment, to better understand employee capabilities, to understand why things are done certain ways and to look for opportunities to improve, and to communicate and reinforce team goals. F
- Review customer complaints through data collected by various groups. O
- Develop, monitor and maintain optimal inventory levels to ensure supply to operations and to meet working capital targets. F
- Promote and provide excellent customer service with all stakeholders. C
- Promote a safe and harmonious work environment and adherence to company policy and procedures. C
- Foster an “open door” policy for all employees to maintain an open line of communication between direct reports and management staff. C
- Maintain compliance with S.Q.F. 2000 – Level 3O C
- Other duties as assigned or required. O
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong working knowledge of purchasing, inventory planning, forecasting techniques as well as operational systems and warehouse management
- Knowledge to implement and support various change management activities needed to improve the organizations effectiveness
- Knowledge of principles, methods and problems of operating business functions
- Knowledge of general computer functions such as Microsoft Office programs, spreadsheets, etc.
- Skill in defining objectives and strategies to meet customer requirement and organizational goals/objectives
- Skill in analytical thinking
- Skill to actively seek out and identify opportunities
- Skill in multi-tasking
- Skill in identifying and developing personnel for succession planning via skill-based assessments, annual performance appraisals and PDP’s
- Skill with basic math procedures
- Skill in team-building
- Skill in interpersonal and communication
- Ability to provide motivational support to recognize and reward people for their achievements
- Ability to identify what needs to be done and take action before being asked
- Ability to trust, develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support
- Ability to supervise and lead by example
- Ability to communicate with coworkers, management team members, and other individuals in a courteous and professional manner
- Ability to provide motivational support and encourage higher levels of performance in direct reports
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and coordinate various activities simultaneously
- Ability to complete assigned tasks
Physical Dimensions: Job-related physical abilities an individual needs to possess in order to perform the job in a satisfactory manner.
Codes: A- 0 – 24 %, B- 25 – 49%, C- 50 – 74%, D- 75 – 100%
- Seeing: Must be able to read reports and use computer D
- Hearing: Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with coworkers D
- Standing/Walking/Mobility: Must be able to stand to open files and operate office equipment or mechanical equipment; mobility between departments or physical locations, and attend meetings of coworkers and management B
- Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling: Must be able to climb, stoop, or kneel to perform routine tasks within the scope of job A
- Lifting up to 50 lbs./ Pulling/Pushing: A
- Touching/Grasping/Feeling: Must be able to write, type, and use office equipment or other equipment; along with handling material and equipment D
- Minimum of BA/BS degree in administration with emphasis on inventory and supply chain operation
- Minimum of 7 years of related experience in a manufacturing or distribution environment with an emphasis on integrated supply chain and logistics concepts
- 7 years proven negotiation skills
- APICS certified (CPIM and/or CSCP certifications) and/or equivalents
- Versed in Sigma six, 5S and lean manufacturing concepts
- Experience in the food and dairy industry is preferred
Must maintain confidentiality of personnel records, personal data, investigations, etc.; Must be comfortable in one-on-one meetings; Some travel to depots of the dairy is required; Work may require occasional evening or weekend work.
- Ability to perform functions in a fast-paced environment.
- Promote and lead by example a safety culture that drives safety as number one.
- Able to work in a varied temperature environment.
- Adheres to Company Policy and Procedures.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule to provide program continuity and visibility.
- Acts as a role model outside and within the Company.
- Performs duties as workload necessitates.
- Maintains a positive and respectful attitude.
- Meets departmental productivity standards.
- Provides guidance for coworkers as needed or as requested.
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about job-related issues.
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload.
- Consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of position.
Associate Director, Quality-CA
Reporting to the Director of Product Development and Quality, this position will provide leadership for all aspects of quality and compliance for the company’s growing portfolio of proprietary products.
- Develop and ensure the implementation of corporate quality policies and food safety plans in accordance with company needs and regulatory requirements.
- Collaborate with third party manufacturers to ensure compliance with company policies and regulatory requirements.
- Lead all internal and external audits.
- Provide guidance to quality investigations, root cause analysis and corrective actions.
- Collaborate across functions on the quality aspects of new products in development.
- Network externally to keep the company up to date with current state of the art for quality and testing.
The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment at an early stage company and will have the following capabilities and skills:
- Passion for the company’s mission
- Demonstrated bias for action
- Comfortable interacting with all levels of management, including senior leadership and commercial teams
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and influencing skills
- Thoughtful, high-energy, self-starter
- Strong attention for detail
- Minimum Bachelors of Science, advanced degree in related field preferred
- 10+ years of Industry experience in related field highly preferred, including 3+ years in Quality Management role.
- Understanding and experience with current Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Strong knowledge of 21 CFR and auditing processes
- Experience in quality system training
- HACCP certification a plus.
Job Summary: Responsible for ensuring that all grounds, buildings, and equipment are properly maintained in the timeliest and cost-efficient manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership: Establish procedures/policies to ensure the smooth and professional operation of the department. Provide plant departments with superior customer support through proper equipment maintenance, communication interface, engineering and technical support, leadership support and operational resources where required. Plan and execute projects in conjunction with and assigned by the Plant Manager. Participate as part of the Plant Leadership Team to drive the direction and improvement of, safety, quality, employee satisfaction, throughput and cost.
Supervision: Direct and coordinate activities of maintenance direct reports. Analyzes maintenance work orders and assigns maintenance personnel to complete them. Evaluate job performance and work with direct reports to set and achieve goals. Establish a climate of individual accountability. Promote a safe and harmonious work environment and adherence to company policy and procedures. Overseas supply purchasing for the maintenance departments insuring compliance to budget, and maintaining inventories for appropriate control, evaluating contracts regularly. Includes evaluation of service agreements/contracts
Equipment/Facility: Monitor operation of essential equipment. Ensure scheduled PM and daily checklists are being performed. Coordinate outside contractors for scheduled maintenance and/or emergency maintenance of facility and support systems. Monitor status of all in-progress repairs and keeps technicians focused until job is complete
Analysis: Analysis maintenance work order and PM. Review and analyze processes and procedures for waste and inefficiency. Make recommendations and/or implement solutions. Participates in Continuous Improvement programs and activities throughout the facility and within the network
Efficiencies: Maintain compliance with S.Q.F. certification. Design and implement preventative maintenance systems. Analyzes maintenance work orders and assigns maintenance personnel to complete them. Follows up with assigned personnel as needed until order is complete. Prepares departmental goals and objectives annually and is accountable for ongoing communication of results, quality measures, and areas for improvement
Development: Develop and train maintenance technicians to possess superior knowledge of all equipment and systems. Stay abreast of new technologies associated with the industry, through trade magazines, training classes and technical manuals.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in the engineering fields preferred
5+ years of Maintenance experience within Food/Beverage/Dairy industry required
5+ years as a maintenance mechanic, specific to electrical, buildings and grounds
At least 3+ years of supervisory or managerial experience required
Experience within PLC’s and Ammonia Refrigeration preferred
Skills and Competencies:
Able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events
Designs work flows and procedures
Gathers and analyzes information skillfully to develop alternative solutions
Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills
Responds promptly to customer needs
Develops staff skills and encourages growth
Manages project and team activities
The Quality Director position reports to the C.O.O. and is located in Minnesota at the company headquarters. There are currently no direct reports to the role, but we expect the Quality Director to inform the right team structure to support this function. The position has access to 3rd party consultants on food safety and regulatory affairs.
- Accountable for the development, maintenance and implementation of HACCP, HACQP, FSMA and Food Defense plans
- Point of contact for outside service contracts, including but not limited to, pest control, 3rd party lab testing, and calibrations
- Accountable for daily quality document review and approvals
- Support incoming initiatives to guarantee that quality requirements are covered in existing products and/or during the start-up of new projects
- Lead preparation and follow up for all internal and external audits and Inspections
- Accountable for sanitation and environmental procedures and programs
- Review and evaluate Consumer Complaints and provide investigation support to plant operations and company leadership
- Provide oversight, manage and develop quality documentation for the facility
- Drive continuous improvement in the company’s food safety & quality programs
- Manage Quality department budgets including invoice approval and reconciliation
Key Success Factors in Role
- 8+ years food manufacturing experience required
- Ability to coach, teach and lead others
- Successful experience leading and managing complex projects
- Strong data analysis and problem-solving skills using critical thinking techniques
- Strong inter-personal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Works well in a team environment
- Well organized and detail oriented
- Self-motivated, high energy to achieve tasks
- Demonstrates ability and willingness for future growth
Human Resources Manager
Designs, plans, and implements human resources programs for the plant. Administers corporate policies relating to compensation, benefits, employee relations, needs assessment and training, and health and safety programs.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Organizational departmental planning within the plant operations
- Recruiting and staffing hourly and salaried plant employees.
- Performance management and improvement systems for plant employees.
- Employment and compliance with regulatory concerns regarding plant employees
- Employee needs assessment and training
- Establish training system, develop essential programs
- Employee relations
- Develop and communicate HR policies, procedures, employee morale, recognition programs, progressive discipline, performance improvement
- Compensation and benefits administration for hourly and salaried plant staff
- Employee safety, wellness, and health within plant operations
- Develops an annual budget for plant personnel
- Reviews, guides and approves management recommendations for employee terminations
- Works with plant supervisors on any required disciplinary actions
- Manages organization development and the organization culture within the plant operations
- Develops plans to manage shift change, rotating schedules and other matters related to maintaining a high level of production
- Works closely with HR Coordinator and payroll team to ensure employees needs are met
Required education and experience:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in human resources, business, or organization development
- Experience must include working within a plant/manufacturing setting
- Ability to understand and speak Spanish is preferred
Pilot Plant Manager and Engineering Lead
The Pilot Plant provides support services for R&D experimental trials and associated activities. The scope is Global in geography and across all stages of innovation and optimization. It includes nearly all unit operations used across the global manufacturing network with some operations at more than one scale. The Pilot Plant and its team functions as a small factory with most functions found in a manufacturing facility represented. With their involvement and support, any R&D or Supply Technical employee can request trial/experimental services.
The new role of Manager and Engineering Lead is to Lead the Pilot Plant team as well as deliver technical results. All of the technical proficiencies listed below are required from the combination of this role and the Engineering and Maintenance members of the Pilot Plant team. In addition, this role will manage and lead the team through all operational, engineering, maintenance, and improvement/growth activities experienced in a typical food manufacturing plant but at the pilot scale.
- 1. The candidate should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or closely related technical field
- 2. >5 years of experience in food manufacturing industry, direct plant experience desirable
- 3. At least some proficiency in people leadership and department management
- 4. Also, this person should have some proficiency in at least two of these four disciplines: factory automation, project engineering/management, factory preventative and corrective maintenance, food manufacturing processes (dairy preferred).